Old 01-05-2009, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Andy is offline

Default Runner Beans

"Judith Smith" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:51:39 +0100, "mark" wrote:

This evening I planted out 24 runner beans. As they are flopping about
like
er..um ..something floppy I would like to tie them to the canes to give
them
the idea.
My question is: which way do they grow, clock or anti?

mark

climbing clockwise when viewed from above

I sow mine sequentialy to avoid the usual glut of runner beans. My method is
to bring them on in pots in the greenhouse first, a pair sown each time, so
that the ones that follow don't catch up too much. I usually wait until the
first pair of beans have produced leaves before I sow the next pair etc so
that's maybe three weeks apart. They won't be that far apart by the time the
beans are ready....