Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default growing grapes in a container

"Jeff" wrote in message

I've acquired from a neighbor a "wishing well", think of the as a large
pot, 16" deep and 16" across or so (inside dimensions). I have a sunny
entrance to my yard but it is on the edge of a concrete driveway, so I
thought of the "wishing well". I can set up a long "trellis" for this to
grow along

Can I grow a grape in such a container and have it yield fruit. What
sort of soil and do I need drainage in such a large pot? Will it need a
companion grape and does that have to be of the same type?

I'd have grave doubts that a grape would do well in such a small container.
And even if it did fruit, the amount of grapes you'd get off it wouldn't be
more than a taste.