Old 14-04-2003, 09:20 AM
jane

Default Cost of Garden Centres versus Nurseries

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:06:24 +0100, "david"
wrote:

~A few years ago Wyevale took over 5 garden centres which they then
~refurbished at an average cost of £1.5 million.......
~And you ask why they are more expensive than your local nursery?
~

I went to a Wyevale (Marlow) for the first time 2 weeks ago so see why
they are so popular.

I still have no idea.

Half the displays had no prices on at all, I went through a huge pile
of plastic watering cans with no luck, hardly any staff about to ask
and those that were looked like teenagers with a weekend job, the
prices were silly and they had a huge 2" diameter watering hose
trailing all over the plant area. OK so it was hot that day (Mother's
Day), but it was to my mind against health and safety to have this
trip hazard about, and the only reason it was there in my view is
because the staff wanted to water then and not after closing so they
could get home earlier!!!

I bought nothing. I will not be going back. I have not been to a worse
GC in a long time.

I will stick to my local nursery together with a tucked-away little
non-chain, no awful muzak garden centre and hardware store (!) that
sells everything for practical gardening I can think of, and no
gimmicks. If anyone is in the Chilterns I would be glad to recommend
them both.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!