Old 14-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Smeckler

Default Bamboo question

Thanks to all for the info.

I'm already pretty impressed with the S. palmata. It's been in its tub
for about a month and the new 1-2" culms that were just emerging when I
planted it are now 4". I really wasn't expected it to do much before
summer!

The P. nigra is against a shed. Half of the plant is nicely sheltered
and is a lovely dark green with the distinctive black canes, the other
half sticks out and catches some of the breeze and has gone rather
yellow

"Adam Davis" wrote in message
I am glad that you put the Sasa Palmata in a tub rather than in the

ground
because I have heard that it can be a bit of a rampant thug (although

it is
still very pretty).

Paul's advice about trimming out the old culms on your P. Nigra is

sound
advice.

If you have never witnessed a bamboo sending up its first new culms

then I
will not spoil it for you because the first time it happened to me I

was
gobsmacked. Just wait and be patient and something amazing will

happen.

Hopefully, you have put your Nigra in a sheltered place because they

can
look a wee bit tatty after the winter, but they do green up again

reasonably
quickly after the warmer weather sets in.

A very good website for more information about bamboos is

www.stambamboo.com

HTH

Adam
"Smeckler" wrote in message
Hello all,

I planted some bamboos several weeks ago which all seem fairly

happy.
I'm hoping someone with experience can tell me how they might grow

over
the next few years, i.e. in terms of size and culm count, 'cos I

don't
really know what to expect.

I have P. nigra (isn't nice how nature allows you to deftly avoid

having
to try to spell things which is 6' tall, 1' across, in a moist

and
moderately sunny spot.

Also a little 1' Sasa palmata in a nice big tub on the patio (again,
moderately sunny).

Thanks as ever,
smeckler.