Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Please help ID this charming plant..

On 2009-05-03 11:19:33 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 K wrote:

Hello,
If you can spare a moment, could you look at this:
http://tinyurl.com/c47y2t
I have these growing up in my hedges, and I think they're awfully
pretty. Can you tell me anything about them?
Kind thanks!

Kerria japonica - suckers like a demon so keep an eye on it!

Just to show you how ignorant I am I thought it was Bachelor's Button -
but that's only because that's what a couple of my friends call it!
You're right about it suckering. It's infesting my garden from a
neighbour's.

I've just googled for Bachelor's Button and find it's a cornflower.

You do indeed! I thought Bachelor's Button was one of those little
yellow compositaes. Still, that's common names for you - different
plants in different places. That's why it is worth the effort of
learning the latin names.

I've just conferred with my wife and she says that Bachelor's Button is
what her grandfather called Kerria - and he was the head gardener on an
estate in Norfolk 60+ years ago. And I seem to remember that my
ex-wife's father who was also an organic market gardener also called it
Bachelor's Button. So maybe I'm not quite so ignorant as I first
thought!

David

Local names do vary widely - I know we've mentioned on here before that
what I call goosegrass (Galium aparine) others call cleavers or sticky
willy!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials