Old 14-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Mike

Default Annual Rainfall

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:12:26 +0100, Mike wrote:

The 2 houses opposite me have been flooded to above floor board
level, 4 times in the last 16 years. Isle of Wight Council say its a
Southern Water Board problem, they in turn say it's the Council's
problem.

Nice bit of buck passing. B-) I think I'd argue that until the water
disappears into a drian it is "surface water" and the councils
problem, once in a drain/sewer it is "storm water" and the water
boards problem. If is subsequently comes back up out of drain it's
still the water boards problem.

Quite agree :-))

It was this tooing and froing which annoyed the 2 households concerned.
It was only when I,

A) Wrote to both of them explaining the problem and where it originated
and copied letters to each.

B) Videod the water pouring down the gutter, unable to get into the
drain and pouring into the houses opposite AND the water pouring "OUT"
of the manhole in the middle of the road

C) Made a representative from each organisation come and sit in my
lounge whilst I played the video, that they then realised I wasn't
talking out of my backside and that I had a case against both of them.

They are now talking to each other and work 'should' have started to
raise the pavements and lower a hump in the road as a stop gap measure.
I have a meeting with them on April 28th :-))

I will therefore levy a charge on them for holding their rain water
as it falls and returning it to the water table for their extraction
later.

I do like your thinking. B-)

Thank you for putting the idea in my mind :-)) I hadn't thought of any
levy either way or the other :-)

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more