Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Mice in garden now in house

jules wrote:

snip

Probably the mice do too, but they are less likely to survive where
there is snakes and owls and other birds off prey.

snip

jules

Y'know, I often wonder about that. I reckon lots and lots of native
carnivores would kark it if it weren't for the introduced rabbits and
mice. I know our local black snake has been growing fat on the mouse
plagues we get occasionally. I wonder what would keep him going if the
mice weren't there?

That's why I have no problem letting the mice go from my humane traps.
The likelihood of their survival away from their colony of origin is
slim to put it mildly and I figure most of them will end up in a
kookaburras dinner menu or a snake's or a kestrel's.

Not saying we need to welcome the bloody-introduced-species, just
pondering the fates of the mice that we catch...

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia