Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default growing grapes in a container

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 5/3/2009 12:45 PM, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

If they grow well in your area (ask at a nursery, not at a hardware
store or lumber yard), try 'Perlette'.

May not be a good idea. Perlette are Vitis vinifera and west of the
Rockies they would be labor intensive to keep the mildew off.

Jeff would be better off with a Vitis labrusca which is native to his
region and used to the high humidity.

In any event, the University of Georgia makes recommendations at
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B807/B807.htm

While I get mildew on my roses, I've never seen it on my grapes,
including 'Perlette'. However, I do spray them after pruning (January)
with an emulsified mix of dormant oil and copper sulfate, at the same
time that I spray that mix on my roses and peach tree (the 1st of 2
sprayings for the peach).

Well, being in northern California and looking south, I will be excused
for confusing East and West. If you ever happen to see the Sun rising
out of the Pacific, some morning, you will know who is at the controls.
;O)
--

- Billy