Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default Rough mower engine

"Geoff Griffiths" wrote in
message ...

I have a rotary petrol mower, powered by a Briggs & Stratton HP470.
Yesterday I hit a kerb stone and the engine stopped dead.

I retarted it and it sounded really rough and was vibrating. I removed
the cutter blade and bent it back to level, sharpened and balanced it
(as best I could).

Upon re-starting it sounds like a bag of spanners! No smoke but really
noisy, rough and the engine speed is uneven.

Have I wrecked the crankshaft bearings or can ayone suggest what else
it might be please?

--
Geoff Griffiths

The key holding the flywheel in position could be sheared, altering the
ignition timing. Or the flywheel could be damaged. Either case is the usual
result of an engine coming to an abrupt stop.