Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Three sisters garden, day 1

On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:54:22 -0600, Suzanne D. wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
Our climates are at opposite extremes, I have not enough sun and to
much water. I've had a massive wilt problem and the places where I
can't grow grass it's because there is so little sun that all that
grows is moss. I'm hoping that the three sisters method will help me
because it raises the plants up and the mounds are at a four foot
distance between each other which should improve the air flow.

We'll have to keep each other updated on our progress, to see which
climate ends up with better results!
--S.

Have you looked into Hopi dry farming techniques? Three sisters is a
Northeastern American Indian practice. I live in Massachusetts so I
figured that it must be well adapted to local conditions, what's good
enough for the Wampanoags should be good enough for me. You live in the
desert Southwest, the native farmers in Southwest are the Hopi, their
reservation is fairly close to the Arizona-Utah border so their methods
might be better fit for you.

I intend to document my progress as I go along this summer. I'll post new
pictures to the picassa site every few weeks. If you were to do the same
we could see how well things are working in each of our very different
climates.