Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's My Tree?

In message , Emery Davis
writes

On 2009-05-03 11:10:52 +0100, Candy
said:

Hi all, while weeding my old garden 2 years ago I found this tiny tree,
so i potted it up, but I don't know what it is, do you?

[image: http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/n...susH/tree.jpg]

Pure guess - probably wrong - some kind of maple?

Sorry, absolutely not a maple.

Well, I know you'd know. ;-)

The 2nd photo the OP posted actually shows that the leaves are
alternate. That rules out Acer, but also Aesculus. Both are
opposite.

I don't find the photographs clear on the point.

Back to the drawing board...

Two points which we can't check, but the OP can. Firstly scale -
Aesculus leaves are rather larger than Parthenocissus leaves (at least
in my experience). Secondly the nature of the leaf scars. The horseshoe
leaf scar of Aesculus is said to be distinctive. She could also confirm
that the leaves are alternate.

-E

--
alias Ernest Major