Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Brandon McCombs Brandon McCombs is offline

Default Was free lawnmower not running quite right

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Brandon McCombs said:

Stubby wrote:
On May 3, 9:59 pm, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)

Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.

[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the

You assume I saw his post before I posted my message. I hadn't refreshed
the list for a while and didn't see his post until after I posted mine.

paper clip through the needle valve. It's probably WAY too large of a hole
now. A paper clip is NOT a precision reaming tool, you know. After not
running for years, there's probably a lot of varnish built up. You could
run some SeaFoam through the system, tho I doubt it will remove enough to
be worthwhile. If you really want to use this mower, your best bet is
probably to replace the carb.

And, a word of advice... Stubby is a ****ing moron. He's *never* changed
the oil in his mower (as he's stated in the past). Do you /really/ want to
take /any/ advice about engine work, from someone that doesn't properly

How am I supposed to know his credentials? I didn't see a post
mentioning everyone's credentials and the results of a lie detector test.

take care of their own equipment?

And, throw that freaking paper clip away!

Well I went to ACE Hardware and they didn't have any wire that was small
enough to fit in the whole so I had to use a paperclip. I didn't have
any toothpicks either.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak. I doubt that is an issue but I'll check it. I was leaking fuel but
only the first day I got the mower (and tonight, but I'm pretty sure
that is due to a bad seal now on the float bowl).

It is making me mad that everything I do isn't fixing the problem. It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.
Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.