Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Potting mix, no peat

"KTTT" wrote in message
.. .
brooklyn1 wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
I have been buying Miracle Grow potting mix. Anyone else notice
that potting mixes have a great deal of wood chips and no peat moss?
The wood chips decompose, draw nitrogen and encouraging small gnats to
breed in it.

I've never seen wood chips in Miracle Grow potting mix... I think it's a
bit pricy for what it is but I see nothing bad about it if all someone
needs is a relatively small quantity of quality potting mix... peat moss
is not necessarily a good thing and you wouldn't actually see it in a mix
anyway. Perhaps you got a bad batch, save your packaging and contact
their customer service and I'm positive you will be issued a refund and
coupons for your next purchase... I've found major brand gardening
products (like others) are very honest. I never hesitate to contact
customer service when I'm not satisfied with a product, I can't remember
the last time I got blown off.

I purchased probably about 20 large bags of Miracle Grow potting mixes
three years ago and remembered that they were of good quality mixes, with
lots of peat and chunky composted wood barks/chips.

Didn't buy anything the past two years.

This year, so far, I already bought about 8 of the same bags and noticed
that there is very little peat and lots of partially composted wood chips
and barks. Some of the wood chips appear to be newly broken, not
composted at all.

I still need more of the potting mixes this year. I probably switch to
another brand.

I hope you contact Miracle Grow and tell them of your experience (only
posting here won't help you or anyone else). You very likely got bags that
were filled from the end of a batch. Many years ago I worked for a company
that manufactured wooden sticks that looked like tongue depressors with a
hole at one end where a few seeds were held in with water soluable wax, they
were marketed as "Grow Sticks". They were sold in a kit with a bag of
potting mix. The potting mix was blended right there in the plant on the
concrete floor, a huge mound in a three sided wooden bin, as they got to the
end of a batch the mix became more coarse with bits of uncomposted matter.
I know that if I bought 20 big bags of Miracle Grow and it wasn't up to my
satisfaction you can bet I'd be calling them to complain.