Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Was free lawnmower not running quite right

Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Brandon McCombs said:

Stubby wrote:
On May 3, 9:59 pm, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Stubby wrote:
Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)
Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.
[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the
You assume I saw his post before I posted my message. I hadn't refreshed
the list for a while and didn't see his post until after I posted mine.

Ya. You're right. I shouldn't assume anything about you. Other than you're
clueless. Art's post was made an hour after Stubby's, and your reply to

Hey asswipe. **** off. I admitted I don't know anything about lawnmowers

Which would explain why you insist on making matters worse by guessing and
trying to fix it with whatever is handy, instead of taking it to someone
that fixes small engines for a living (who also probably spends the better
part of their day cleaning up after idiots like you).

but I'm not clueless in general.

You've done/said little to prove that.

Stubby was an hour after that. We'll just add USENET to the things you
don't understand.

Stubby posted at almost 8AM, Art posted at 830PM. I refreshed sometime
around 7PM when I got home. Obviously Art's post wouldn't have shown up
by then would it? When I sent my message it was after I had done the
work on the mower but I didn't refresh the list prior to submitting my
new message. If you don't realize that is what happened, let alone that
it is viable, then who really is the clueless one about usenet?

What I realize is that you make the same mistake that other clueless USENET
noobs make. You post willy-nilly without actually attempting to read an
entire thread's replies first.

paper clip through the needle valve. It's probably WAY too large of a hole
now. A paper clip is NOT a precision reaming tool, you know. After not
running for years, there's probably a lot of varnish built up. You could
run some SeaFoam through the system, tho I doubt it will remove enough to
be worthwhile. If you really want to use this mower, your best bet is
probably to replace the carb.

And, a word of advice... Stubby is a ****ing moron. He's *never* changed
the oil in his mower (as he's stated in the past). Do you /really/ want to
take /any/ advice about engine work, from someone that doesn't properly
How am I supposed to know his credentials? I didn't see a post
mentioning everyone's credentials and the results of a lie detector test.

take care of their own equipment?

And, throw that freaking paper clip away!
Well I went to ACE Hardware and they didn't have any wire that was small
enough to fit in the whole so I had to use a paperclip. I didn't have
any toothpicks either.

LOL Ya. Toothpicks are precision reaming tools, too. We all know that.
*shakes head*

Exactly how is a toothpick any worse than copper wire? None of them are
precision tools asshole.

No shit? But, the hole in the jet /is/ precision. Again, you're clueless.
You don't understand the first thing about carbs, so why are you trying to
fix it with your backwoods techniques?

Clean it with carburetor cleaner and compressed air. Nothing else. You
missed that bit of advice from Art too, didn't you.

Yeah because that is precision.

No dumbass. That's proper.

I missed it because I didn't know he
posted until after I posted my message. I didn't refresh until about
midnight, 2.5 hours after I posted and 3.5 hours after Art posted.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak.

Well.. ya. It's called a "float". If it has a hole in it, do you think
that's still going to be a valid name?

Hard to say. I'm not an asswipe like you.

No. You're simply an idiot.

I doubt that is an issue but I'll check it. I was leaking fuel but
only the first day I got the mower (and tonight, but I'm pretty sure
that is due to a bad seal now on the float bowl).

It is making me mad that everything I do isn't fixing the problem.

Getting mad because you don't know what you're doing isn't going to help
matters. It's just going to probably make you get out the power tools. Lord
knows what you'd do to a carb with a drill in your hand.

If you aren't going to contribute anything useful, **** off.

I contributed plenty useful. I told you to take it to someone that can
hopefully fix your clueless blunders. That's probably the best advice
you've received, but you're too dense to realize that.

It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.

Then, you're even more clueless than you're letting on. Your best bet is
probably to take the mower to your local small engine repair shop, tell

Being persistent is not the same thing as clueless.

Being persistent with doing things the wrong way is quite the same thing as
being clueless.

Someone with a 4th grade education would realize that.

Is that how far you got in school? That would explain a lot.

them all the boneheaded things you've tried, and hope they can fix it for
you. Then, in the future, take it there for service instead of trying to
fix it yourself. Hell... ask the dood if he's hiring and maybe you can
learn about how to properly diagnose and fix small engines.

Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.

I'd hate to see what you do with your first car.

I'm beyond my first car.

It probably had to be scrapped because of all the toothpicks and paperclips
stuck everywhere in it. =)

Go away. You obviously have nothing useful to contribute.

I don't believe I will. I think I'll continue to watch you **** things up.
You're quite entertaining, you know.

--
Eggs