Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Dandelion Seeds

"graham" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
graham writes

They are regarded as a pest here and if you don't keep them under
control,
the city council can cut your infested lawn

And exactly what effect is cutting the lawn supposed to have?

Some people let the dandelions virtually take over their lawns and don't
cut it often enough. If a neighbour complains, the city will cut it and
order the owner to do something about it. I agree, it is a bit "after the
horse has bolted" but some get really neurotic about them and they are
regarded as pestilential.

and charge a princely sum.
Ironically, some of the worst infected areas are city property.

I can only imagine you have far fewer dandelions than we have in the UK.
--

Not so! Grass dies back over the winter, my lawn is still mostly brown
and is very gradually greening up (we de-thatch [scarify] every Spring -

I might add that we don't have "billiard-table" lawns. I set my rotary
mower to almost the max height leaving the grass at ~2" or slightly more.
This encourages deeper roots and less watering. My Father would be
horrified{;-)
Graham