Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default beginner primula Q

On 2009-05-05 16:41:27 +0100, Broadback said:

bob wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2009 13:49:44 +0100, "Spider"

On 2009-05-05 07:16:46 +0100, bob said:

They can become less floriferous if overcrowded, though nobody has told
our local wild primroses that, thank goodness! That's why you read the
advice on dividing them and of course, it increases your stock of a
particular plant. Don't take off the leaves because they're what
nourish the roots of the plant. If you find you have too many, you
could wait for them to finish flowering, then dig them up and pot them.
Then you could either give them to friends or to local fairs and fetes
for plant stalls.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

I agree entirely with Sacha, but would add that Primula Leaf Spot is
now a persistent problem with most of the primula tribe. This causes
leaf yellowing, but the spotting is usually evident. If you see leaves
marked in this way, it would be worth while removing them. If the leaf
spot is left unchecked, it generally weakens the plant - even our
robust native primrose.

Spider

ok - many thanks to you and Sacha for the overview.

I'll keep a lookout for the leaf-spot.

What is the normal life-cycle of the leaf from now on - what should I
expect? Do the green leaves, if healthy, remain from now until next
spring.

A little off topic, however I have 2 clumps of wild primroses that
appeared in my garden. I was hoping that last year they would spread by
seeding but have not done so. Can I successfully lift and divide them,
without losing them? If so when would be the best time please?

You can divide them in autumn. Every time I try to collect seed from
them, we seem to have terrible weather and I don't find any (or
something happens to distract me) so that may have affected yours last
year. They're obviously seeding if they've simply appeared by chance
so you may be luckier than me and be able to find some and divide your
plants as well, increasing your stock in two ways. ;-) Round here,
they flower well into May so be vigilant as to the flowering time of
yours if you want to find seed. We have great sheets of them on banks
round here and some are turning pink here and there so I imagine they
can be quite promiscuous if near the cultivated types!