Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default beginner primula Q

Broadback writes
bob wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2009 13:49:44 +0100, "Spider"
wrote:

ok - many thanks to you and Sacha for the overview.
I'll keep a lookout for the leaf-spot.
What is the normal life-cycle of the leaf from now on - what should

expect? Do the green leaves, if healthy, remain from now until next
spring.

They die back quite a bit in winter and then there's a big burst of
growth in spring.

A little off topic, however I have 2 clumps of wild primroses that
appeared in my garden. I was hoping that last year they would spread by
seeding but have not done so. Can I successfully lift and divide them,
without losing them? If so when would be the best time please?

You should be able to. When you lift them, you may find that they have
divided into several closely packed plants. You can tease them apart
gently and replant them separately. Keep them well watered after
replanting. Sometime in the next 6 weeks would be a good time. Don't try
to divide the clumps if they haven't already separated themselves.

You could also harvest the ripe seeds and sow them in a seed tray. They
germinate better if planted after harvesting rather than kept till next
spring. But they may require chilling - keep the soil moist (putting the
whole seed tray into a plastic bag is good), and if nothing has happened
by autumn, leave the seed tray outside over winter, and with luck you'll
get a whole mass of seedlings as the weather warms up in the spring.

--
Kay