Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default making your own acid feed

Chris Hogg writes
On Tue, 5 May 2009 10:08:35 +0100, "john martin"
wrote:

I have just finished putting some camellias in a half/half mix of john innes
number 3 and ericeceous compost (hoping that this is the best ratio of mix )
and I have been advised to use plenty of acid type feed.

After going to the local garden centre I'm shocked to see how *expensive*
acid feed it is for just a small packet.

I think there is iron in it so is there any way to make up a cheap acid feed
my self?

For instance use some ordinary phostogen mixed with rusty nails or brillo
pads? Thanks.

Not really. The problem with alkaline soil and mixes such as JI3 is
that they contain lime, which makes them alkaline. Iron, and to a
lesser extent manganese, is not soluble in alkaline soil when added in
a simple form such as you suggest.

The sequestrene and similar fertilisers contain iron bound up with other
non-iron ions, which allows the plant to absorb the complex, and make
use of the iron.

--
Kay