Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Systemic pesticide for roses

On May 5, 1:08*am, "Freckles" wrote:
I would like to use a systemic pesticide on my roses.

I've heard systemic pesticides can be very dangerous.

Systemic means it's taken up and circulated within the
entire plant. Systemics are really only dangerous if
you eat some part of the treated plant.

I've tried several different sprays and am not satisfied with the results..

Can anyone recommend a brand of systemic pesticide that is not so dangerous
to humans and pets?

For white flies or aphids, insecticidal soap (topical,
not systemic) -- homebrew from Bronner's or dish
soap works as well as more expensive commercial
preps. Don't waste money on commercial soaps
with neem, if my experience is any indication.

For aphids, lady bugs do a great job and tend to
stay put, unlike mantises.