Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

I put mine up against a North facing wall in the worst clay/soil/
builders rubble imaginable. They increased like wabbits. Every spring
I dug out the ones that were sneaking towards the front of the border,
potted them up and sold them at boot sales - they were very popular
especially when in flower.

I have even resorted to getting someone else to plant them for me,
convinced that it's me they won't 'do' for. even that didn't work.
We've put them in all sorts of places here but with no luck so now I'm
going to do as you suggest and find the most inhospitable place I can
and try them there!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials