Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 12:08:46 +0100, bob said:

A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

It was already here when I arrived so I can't claim to have a gift.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Japanese Anemones do spread rapidly but dig up the ones you don't want.
Personally, I'd leave them to do their own thing because I think
they're of great value in the garden, especially later in the year. So
unless they're smothering other things, can you live with them?
--

You're right, they're attractive and they seem to be amongst the last
to leave. I'll just try and keep them within bounds.

By the way, they get very tall and floppy, especially after rain. Is
there some sort of thingy you would recommend for support. Some time
ago I bought (have since lost) a bunch of stiff right-angled
plastic-covered wire things with an interlocking hook so you can build
several up into a polygon framework. Is there anything more
ingenious these days?

I know the things you mean but I don't know if they're still made or if
there's something better around. We don't seem to have that problem
with our Japanese anemones - no idea why. Perhaps you could get hold
of some pea sticks and jam them into the ground before the new growth
really takes over. That way, they'll grow up amongst them and
effectively will hide the sticks.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials