Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 18:25:02 +0100, bob said:

On Wed, 6 May 2009 17:24:52 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Lily of the Valley grows anywhere and anyone can grow it. We have it
spreading from a border into one of the gravel paths. But it is slow growing
and a hoe keeps it in control

Mike

Oh well that doesn't sound so alarming. Thanks.

Bob, I'm sorry to intervene here but I would caution you about taking
gardening advice from this man. He is one of urg's long-time trolls
with no gardening knowledge, though he claims his wife (who does not
post here) has some. You're being caught up in his current campaign to
get attention at any price. Lily of the Valley does NOT grow anywhere
by any means. Quite the contrary - some people find it very hard to get
established. Having planted over 2 dozen plants here over the last
couple of years, we had one solitary flower this year. If ease of
growth were the case my husband, a nurseryman of 60 years standing, Bob
Hobden, a highly experienced gardener and allotment holder and I, with
some years of gardening under my belt, would not be saying how
difficult it is for us to grow it in our gardens. You will become
accustomed to the people who post here and soon be able to judge the
value of their advice for yourself but the above is really, seriously
wrong and possibly discouraging to others. Sadly for urg, it's also
par for the course from this particular nuisance.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon