Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

I don't think I've ever managed to plant it, but it is growing well in
my garden. Heavy clay and total shade seems to be the key - under a
whitebeam (along with Cyclamen hederifolia), under a Magnolia stellata,
and under a japanese maple - though now the maple is spreading, the LoV
is trying to escape and reestablish under a weeping crab.

This is interesting, because of the two places I know it growing
abundantly in the wild, one is a wood, but the other is in clearings on
a limestone pavement - about as far from deep shade and heavy clay as
you can get!
--
Kay