Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

bob wrote:
A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

It is slowly invasive and grows in areas where other plants have problems
(like under rhododendrons), but I've never seen it crowd out anything else.
It flowers early, and a few cut sprigs will scent a room for a day or three.
Unless you don't like the scent, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like
it. But if you are worried it is too invasive, then try the variety known
as Vic Pawlowski's Gold. Possibly the best variegated leaf of any plant
(see photo he
http://www.rowdengardens.com/Convall...is%20Gold.jpg).
It grows much more slowly than the species, and is said to prefer some sun.
Mine grows happily enough in a pot in total shade.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

JA also slowly invasive, but flowers late when there often isn't much else
about. It's quite simple to dig up the young plants which appear where you
don't want them.

--
Jeff