Old 07-05-2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Freckles[_5_] Freckles[_5_] is offline

Default Systemic pesticide for roses

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 May 2009 00:08:50 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

I would like to use a systemic pesticide on my roses.

I've heard systemic pesticides can be very dangerous.

Anything misused can be dangerous. For example, water can be very
dangerous.

I've tried several different sprays and am not satisfied with the results.

Not all systemic products are sprayed. Spraying can be hazardous due
to inhalation.

Can anyone recommend a brand of systemic pesticide that is not so
dangerous
to humans and pets?

There are Rose Food/Systemic products that are applied to the soil,
scratched in and the pesticide is taken up by the roots.

I use the Ortho product (Bayer makes one too) on my roses only. I am
willing to try other remedies, that is, if there is one that I have
not tried. Aphids are hard to control.

Thanks,

Freckles

I have ordered Bayer's systemic pesticide/food spikes.

Supposedly one just shoves a spike into the ground next to the rose and it
will kill pests and feed the plant for up to 2 months.

Sprays of all kinds bother me. The thought of breathing any of them scares
me.

If the spikes work, I think that will be the easiest and safest way to take
care of my roses.

Freckles