Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 18:59:20 +0100, K said:

Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

I don't think I've ever managed to plant it, but it is growing well in
my garden. Heavy clay and total shade seems to be the key - under a
whitebeam (along with Cyclamen hederifolia), under a Magnolia stellata,
and under a japanese maple - though now the maple is spreading, the LoV
is trying to escape and reestablish under a weeping crab.

This is interesting, because of the two places I know it growing
abundantly in the wild, one is a wood, but the other is in clearings on
a limestone pavement - about as far from deep shade and heavy clay as
you can get!

That's exactly it - it pleases itself. We have planted it in many
different areas of the garden, from deep shade, to part shade, to sun,
to good soil, to very shallow stuff that gets no attention etc. A
friend of ours has a narrow border in a lot of sun and it is full of
LotV which is now migrating across the path and threatening an assault
through her front door and up the stairs, as far as I can see. She
does nothing to them but enjoy them!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials