Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 18:59:20 +0100, K said:

Bob Hobden writes

"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

I don't think I've ever managed to plant it, but it is growing well in my
garden. Heavy clay and total shade seems to be the key - under a
whitebeam (along with Cyclamen hederifolia), under a Magnolia stellata,
and under a japanese maple - though now the maple is spreading, the LoV
is trying to escape and reestablish under a weeping crab.

This is interesting, because of the two places I know it growing
abundantly in the wild, one is a wood, but the other is in clearings on a
limestone pavement - about as far from deep shade and heavy clay as you
can get!

That's exactly it - it pleases itself. We have planted it in many
different areas of the garden, from deep shade, to part shade, to sun, to
good soil, to very shallow stuff that gets no attention etc. A friend
of ours has a narrow border in a lot of sun and it is full of LotV which
is now migrating across the path and threatening an assault through her
front door and up the stairs, as far as I can see. She does nothing to
them but enjoy them!

I had some LoV from a friend 2 years ago. I split it and planted it on
either side of the garden - one side in sun for most of the day, the other
only getting a little sun for about one month a year. Last year there was a
total no show. This year both clumps are up and flowering!

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.