Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Deter squirrels (only) from bird feeders?

On 2009-05-07 00:27:24 +0100, Bill Smith said:

Our garden backs onto a strip of municipal woodland. We have a metal
support for hanging cage-type bird feeders, and attract a good number
and variety of small birds.
snip

Can anyone suggest a low-cost deterrent which will not harm the
squirrels but would allow the other birds (Most of which seem to prefer
peanuts to wild bird seed) to feed on the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

You could try making the sort of thing they put on ship's warps to
prevent rats coming aboard. It's like one of those inverted buckets
you see dogs wearing to stop them nibbling at stitches after an
operation. Attach that to the pole with the wide end at the bottom and
coat it with e.g. vaseline so the squirrel can't climb over it. If
it's wide enough the squirrel won't be able to stretch to climb over
and past it. Worth a try.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials