Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On 2009-05-06 23:31:44 +0100, "Kathy" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
snip

That's exactly it - it pleases itself. We have planted it in many
different areas of the garden, from deep shade, to part shade, to sun, to
good soil, to very shallow stuff that gets no attention etc. A friend
of ours has a narrow border in a lot of sun and it is full of LotV which
is now migrating across the path and threatening an assault through her
front door and up the stairs, as far as I can see. She does nothing to
them but enjoy them!

I had some LoV from a friend 2 years ago. I split it and planted it on
either side of the garden - one side in sun for most of the day, the other
only getting a little sun for about one month a year. Last year there was a
total no show. This year both clumps are up and flowering!

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening for us. We've
planted it over a number of years here and in previous years I've
planted I don't know how many in different gardens, with no success.
In the days when they were quite rare here, my ex-mil gave me some of
the pink ones - back over 20 years ago - and not one came up. In her
garden, pink and white flourished in both sun and shade in a rich soil.
I don't think I've ever met anything so damned temperamental - or not
in the 'ordinary' run of plants!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials