Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

On Wed, 6 May 2009 19:47:52 +0100, beccabunga
wrote:

'bob[_1_ Wrote:
;843061']A little while ago a friend told me he was having trouble
establishing
LotV in his garden (like me he's a beginner) and it was only after
reading up recently that I've discovered how invasive this plant can
be.

Now I'm beginning to harbour similar qualms about JA which seems to be
spreading out on all sides with gleeful haste.

Do these propogate themselves in a similar fashion - as I understand
it through a network of rhizomes?

Is there a tried and tested way of keeping these under control?

Thanks for any advice

Lily of the Valley is picky about where it settles, and I tend to leave
it be. If it interferes with something else, then hefty digging out of
roots is the only solution I have found - and it immediately sits up
and says "Thanks - lovely soft bed for me".

Japanese anemone is intolerable! I dug it all out of a largish bed, and
am still digging out little offsets. But apart from weedkiller this is
the only way I know to get rid of it. The white one seems less invasive
than the basic pink.

thanks for adding. I'd like to keep these two plants and on balance
that's what I'll do until my feelings towards them change. I've no
idea how these got in my garden but others' lack of success with LotV
in the face of heroic effort has modified my view of them.

Now you mention it, i've precious few white JAs, mostly pink.