Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the valley and Japanese anenome

K wrote:
Bob Hobden writes

"'Mike'" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote
"Sacha" wrote
I've yet to get LotV to grow successfully in any garden I have ever
had
and by now, that's quite a few!

Thank goodness for that I thought it was just me.

Is it the variety? Lilly of the Valley grows as a weed in our garden and
is creeping across the gavel path

I doubt it, more likely the plant has some specific needs/wants that it
doesn't get in our garden. Not having to compete is one possibility.

very strong possibility I suspect. Ours is not doing well against
celandine, but it lovers all those bare bits under trees where nothing
else will grow.

Hmm, I wonder. Perhaps needs acid soil?

We have both pink and white, grows very enthusiastically in a bed
stuffed with other stuff: honesty, colombine, geraniums, roses, etc.
It is basically a weed in the fuschia.

Oddly we have both pink and white Japanese anenome also, but it stays
put pretty much.

-E