Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ivy on trees? ? ?

On Thu, 07 May 2009 05:43:05 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

We have climbing ivy which pretty much covers a tree -- up to 40 feet or so.
Does this ever endanger the tree?

Also, I've planted a Virginia creeper at the base of the same tree, and it's
starting to climb. Does the Virginia creeper ever muscle out the ivy, or
vice-versa?

I attended an arberatum seminar about trees and this question came up.
The botany professor stated that English ivy does not kill trees in
Tennessee. Ivy can be aggressive in some locations, and certainly you
don't want it growing on your house. I have ivy growing on three
large tree. It is heavily trimmed from the ground to 5 feet, the deer
keep it from spreading as a ground cover.

Any two plants sharing the same space will compete; view some
time-lapse photography to see the behavior. I often grow two
different plants side-by-side, ones that have similar light, water,
and soil requirements.