Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

In article ,
You seem to want a response, so your wish is granted.
Rick wrote:

Evangelical christians serve only to convince me there is no god.
Likewise, your viewpoint is not balanced, or based on sound science,
but rather on the faith that you have discovered the "one true way".

You know how I play this, if you make an assertion, you back it up with
a citation: citation please.
In your world all non-believers are to be publicly chastised and put
down by you and the other members of your little mutual masturbation
society that has recently infested these groups.

Invective and ad hominem, do you have something to say?
Many long time
members have left, and you are one of the reasons. Your messages
usually lack informative content, and serve to drive people away from
organic approaches. I consider you at best a pest and at worst a
thinly disguised troll on these groups.

And your judgement is worth, what? How do you evaluate my lack of
information, by the citations that I make, and are so glaringly absent
in your little rant?

I only saw this because Sherwin has given helpful advice in the past,
and I tend to read his posts. I saw he was tangling with you again.
I'd hate to have a gomer like you drive a valuable poster like him off
the group, especially one that lacks helpful constructive content in
his posts.

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

It will probably surprise you to learn that I am a fan of organic food
production. I make part of what I consider a pretty good living
producing organic crops. I also produce hydroponic tomatoes, which
are not organic. Yes we have tested and continue to experiment with
organic hydroponics, but despite what you may have read, there are
some very real problems that can cause devastating crop losses. Not
so good when your living is on the line.

Real shame that you can't share these problems with us. Are they on a
need to know basis?

I also raise beef. My own beef is grass fed, but not organic. After
it leaves me, it gets fattened in feedlots with all the attending
problems of antibiotic overuse etc. I would love people to buy my 2-3
year old cattle at $5-10 a lb on the hoof (some do), but rounding up
1,000s of customers is not going to happen soon. So they get the less
tasty 6 month old feedlot beef they can afford.

Hey, I thought we were here to talk about ME! Since this could all be
made-up, here on the internet, why don't you cut to the chase?

Then there is the Roundup ready soybeans and corn I grow. Yes! the
dreaded Monsanto greedmeister killers of the earth.

And they've found that they don't produce a larger crop than normal
soybeans.
-----
But the Union of Concerned Scientists disputed the claims of increased
production in the "Failure to Yield" report.
"Clearly the industry has been trying as long as it has existed to
improve yields, but the record is extremely meager," Doug
Gurian-Sherman, senior scientist at UCS and author of the report, told
the Cleantech Group."Going forward, we need to be careful about putting
too many eggs in the basket of genetic engineering."
The report looks at the two most popular GM uses: herbicide-resistant
corn and soybeans, and pest-resistant corn. The report showed that the
use of herbicide-tolerant corn and soybeans have had no effect on actual
per-acre yields.
http://cleantech.com/news/4364/doubl...netically-modi
-----

God, you must feel quite the fool. All the GMO crops have done for you
is to let you pay for the right to pour more Roundup on the ground.
Hey, way to go guy.

When the scientists that invented these GM products go to sleep,
perhaps they dream of the millions of lives they have saved. From my
perspective, I save on diesel (big time) and many tons of topsoil
because of the greatly reduced cultivation requirements.

Uh, you ain't so slick, if you hadn't noticed that as your topsoil blows
and trickles away, you've been having to use more and more chemferts.
But hey, this is UseNet, you could be a bored student in a computer lab
somewhere.

I know you
hate the fact they patented their products, but I am not a communist
and no one is forced to buy their products. They do it because they
are better and cheaper to grow.

Not according to the Union of Concerned Scientists, but you probably
know more than they do, not.

Oh- I use Lysol too.

Oh, I saw that one coming in.

-Rick