Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Grapevine problem

someone wrote:
I have had a grapevine growing outside next to my back door for about 15
years and it has always provided enough grapes for a few bottles of wine.
Over the last couple of weeks it has put out lots of new leaves and little
bunches of grape flowers so things looked good. The grape trails in one
direction over the back of my house and in the other direction over an
adjoining fence.

A couple of days ago I noticed that all the new shoots and the grape flowers
were drooping and they look like they are dying. The soil is well watered
and all the other nearby plants (primulas, ground elder) look fine. So far
they have not recovered, and we have not had a frost so I can't understand
what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

someone

Could just be old age. We lost a vine of a similar age about 5 years
ago. Everything else nearby continued to grow so I assume not a soil
/pollution problem.
Putting in another one is on the round 2 it list.

Bob