Old 08-05-2009, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deter squirrels (only) from bird feeders?

On May 7, 8:33*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
wafflycat wrote:
We should have greys on the menu in the UK. They are classed as vermin
(rightly so), have played havoc with our native reds and will take
bird eggs from the nest. They are tree rats with good PR. We should
also be eating more venizon as the deer population in the UK is going
through the roof - in my bit of the UK they are often visible in the
day just wandering through fields & gardens.. eating crops, damaging
rare ancient woodland habitats.. As much as I don't like guns, if I
could shoot accurately I'd have no hesitation about shooting for food.

Oh absolutely! *I don't shoot live things - not sure about a clean kill....
But my David does and we eat the stuff he brings home. *One good thing is
that he always cleans the kill in the field. *I am presented with a rather
bloody body in a plastic bag *He likes to leave the rest in the field for
other animals to eat. (of course, that doesn't include deer.)

My late Father always said only kill what you will eat, not for sport.

Judith