Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default What is it? (Garden Structure)

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:01:27 +0100, Mike wrote:

My thoughts were sewerage etc, but unless they were settling tanks,
surely they are not deep enough, and as settling tanks, not sufficient
area.

My thoughts as well, but a bit small unless they extend under the grassed
area a little way. We don't really know how deep each chamber is as they
haven't been fully dug out. The arrangement of horizontal pipe into a T is
typical of the inlet/outlet arrangements of a septic tank. I can't see how
the middle chamber connects to the top/left hand one though.

The verticals don't seem to be in the right place for accepting a bottom
outlet toilet pan if it was an outside karzi.

On further inspection of the images I think you are right, The top/left
chamber may connect to the centre one further down, if so its certainly a
three stage septic tank. Ten rows of bricks down sounds high for the water
table. Is it that high outside the brickwork? If not it may be that the
chambers are still retaining water. If the rubble inside is loose it could
be the remains of the old lid structure. These were sometimes concrete slab
and sometimes corbeled brickwork the beginnings of which can be seen.

Keep digging you may find treasure.

Mike