Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Grapevine problem

On 8 May, 10:41, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 8 May 2009 *Bob Minchin wrote:

someone wrote:
I have had a grapevine growing outside next to my back door for about
15 *years and it has always provided enough grapes for a few bottles
of wine. *Over the last couple of weeks it has put out lots of new
leaves and little *bunches of grape flowers so things looked good.
The grape trails in one *direction over the back of my house and in
the other direction over an *adjoining fence.
*A couple of days ago I noticed that all the new shoots and the grape
flowers *were drooping and they look like they are dying. *The soil is
well watered *and all the other nearby plants (primulas, ground elder)
look fine. So far *they have not recovered, and we have not had a
frost so I can't understand *what could be causing this. *Any ideas?

Could just be old age. We lost a vine of a similar age about 5 years
ago.

Shouldn't be old age if it is only fifteen years old. They should go on
for at least thirty to fifty years.

David

--
David Rance * * * *writing from Caversham, Reading, UKhttp://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

My first thought is Vine weevil. I had one do the same, then it
started to throw out new roots, I cut back quite hard and 6 years on
it's doing well.I dosed the little B------ with a chemical no longer
available but you could either try nematoids or Pravado.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries