Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default What is it? (Garden Structure)

--
..
"Andrew May" wrote in message
Jules wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2009 13:20:57 +0100, Andrew May wrote:
If I get a chance I will dig some more over the weekend. If it is a
septic tank then it should have a solid base at some point and I would
like to find it.

This is where you find a sodding great wartime air-raid shelter or other
such structure :-)

(have Google or any of the other imagery services got high-res data for
your area? A look at the lawn from above *might* reveal discolouration if
there's anything just below the surface there)

I did wonder whether it might be an air-raid shelter but given how it is
divided up the majority of the structure would have to have been above
ground. Besides the most likely would have been an Anderson Shelter and I
don't think they had any foundations. Just a corrugated iron shelter
buried in the ground with the soil removed to bury it spread over the top.
Very simple and quite efficient. Don't think they had inside toilets
either.

Microsoft Local Live has some pretty good aerial views of the area and
shows nothing untoward. Not that I would have expected it to. I planted
that particular section of lawn and it was well rotavated before being
sown. I am under the impression that that particular area had been a
vegetable patch so had probably been well dug will before I moved in.

Andrew

Local Historical Group?
Older residents in the area?

Mike