Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default What is it? (Garden Structure)

On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:15:12 +0100, Andrew May wrote:
I did wonder whether it might be an air-raid shelter but given how it is
divided up the majority of the structure would have to have been above
ground. Besides the most likely would have been an Anderson Shelter and
I don't think they had any foundations. Just a corrugated iron shelter
buried in the ground with the soil removed to bury it spread over the
top. Very simple and quite efficient. Don’t think they had inside
toilets either.

Agreed it's unlikely to be any kind of family shelter - but more
substantial wartime structures exist all over the country and every so
often a new one does pop up which everyone had forgotten about.
Typically those are completely subterranean these days, with any
surface entrance long since demolished and back-filled; the only
remaining surface evidence being pipework for air filtration etc.

I think it's *extremely* unlikely you have something like that, of course,
and far more likely to be something related to a septic system, or some
sort of filtration bed related to plant growing - but at the same time,
stranger things have happened! :-)

cheers

Jules