Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What is it? (Garden Structure)

Sacha writes
On 2009-05-08 08:40:42 +0100, Andrew May said:

There is a little area of my garden in which nothing has ever grown.
I have known for a while that if I dig more than a couple of inches
down I come across bricks. A neighbour tells me that this area used
to be a chrysanthemum farm and I have always assumed that these bricks
were the foundations for a greenhouse of some description. Last
weekend I took the opportunity to dig further with a view to finally
getting some garden that I can grow something in. I now think that
what I have is not the foundations of a greenhouse but am at a loss
to explain what it is.
snip

My Nurserymen husband and stepson (Essex in the past, Devon now) both
say what you have there is a bog garden. In the - er - vernacular.

That was my immediate thought. But if the OP is right in his hunch that
it was built at the same time as the house, isn't 1948 a little late to
be building houses without inside toilets?
--
Kay