Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Black spots and mildew on other plants

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
dina wrote:
Hi there,
do these fungus only atack roses or other plants as well? Or they are
different fungus alltogether? Can they be treated he same way?
Some advise,please.
Thank you.
Dina

Hi Dina,

At least some leaf black spot is caused by the Entosporium fungus. Which
attacks roses, apples, pears, pyracantha, photinia and vitis notably.

An effective treatment is myclobutanil, also spray Bordeaux mixture
in fall and spring.

HTH

-E

I concur. There are many other plant types that suffer,though, many with
their own specific fungi. I can't say I know the name of them all, but I see
black spotting on Anemones, Hebes, Hellebores, Aquilegia, Penstemon and
others. Rust is another common fungal problem, which affects roses,
hypericum et al. Unsurprisingly, it has rust-coloured pustules, so is
fairly easy to identify, at least in the early stages - later, it can become
blackened.

I am still trialling the acid feed trick with rust and some forms of
blackspot. I can't say more than that I'm very hopeful. By all means,
follow Emery's advice for treatment. It is a good idea, though, to change
your chosen fungicide periodically so that the problem pathogen does not
become hardened to it, and thus survive. Also practice good garden hygiene,
by clearing up fallen leaves. These will carry fungal spores which will
reinfect your plant through wind dispersal or rain/water splash. With a
serious infesation, it may be worth mulching the ground, so the spores can't
reach the plant again. Similarly, if you spray a wall-trained plant, spray
the wall thoroughly as well.

Spider