Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Wot dat plant?

On 2009-05-09 17:22:20 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Anne Welsh
Jackson writes

On 2009-05-09 16:30:12 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

I found this in my garden. It is about 9" high at he moment and
stands erect
but has an offshoot at the base which is sprawling. I have another that I
found self-sown in a pot. I did have another in an indoor pot (beneath the
roots of a lemon tree) but without the purplish tinge; it grew
rapidly with
trailing branches over two feet long but it died off when I tried to
transplant it. All three plants seem more or less fleshy but with
the lowest
stems turning woody.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hairyb...40076 8381986

Any ideas? I have a vague idea it might be Abutilon but as I have
never grown this I can not be sure.

It's making me think of some kind of Leycesteria but I'm not
convincing myself!

It is definitely a Leycesteria, and AFAIK there is only one type
of Leycesteria, and that's L. formosa.

There's also Leycesteria crocothyrsos.

I don't see it as a Leycesteria. The lobing of the leaves, especially
the almost separated basal leaves, doesn't match with my photographs of
this, nor with what comes up in Google image search.

The leaves aren't typical but IME, Leycesteria can 'throw' some funny
looking leaves from time to time.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials