Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A such thing as a small wind-proof greenhouse?

On Sat, 9 May 2009 19:50:45 +0100, Granity wrote:

Having had laughable experiences with PVC 'greenhouses' and growbag
shelter whatsits that just ended up being huge and ungainly kites in
the Scottish wind,

Same here. We had a 2' wide 1' deep 6' high metal framed plastic covered
full of plants lifted up and moved several feet and thrown over. Cured
that by putting a couple of rawlbolt eyes into the stone slabs it was
standing on and tieing the top of it down to those. Then the plastic got
brittle in the sun, failed at the seams and got ripped apart by the wind.

That ali framed and polycarbonate structure you linked to might be
suitable if tied down. At least the polycarb won't rip but the wind might
pop the bits out of the frame and a the frame didn't look particulary
substantial. The one we had was steel tube and that got bent once it was
tied down. I'd want to see one to see how the panels are fitted into the
frame and how strong the frame is, it doesn't look very substantial to me.
OK in an urban garden but not in a place where it gets windy.

Only F7 "Near Gale" over 32mph sustained, gusting to upper 30's today,
Thursday was F8 "Gale" over 39 mph sustained gusting to mid 40's mph. We
don't have anything loose outside 'cause it gets blown away. Plants have
been blown out of the ground in the past when it gets really windy, F9
say, which is over 47 mph sustained withs gusts approaching 60mph or so.

Why not spend a little bit more on something like this? :

http://tinyurl.com/o47bhy

Wouldn't last five minutes... B-)

--
Cheers