Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default weed removal

On May 9, 8:00*pm, RK77 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for responding to my previous post. I just need some more help
as I'm amateur gardener.

I've got plenty of weeds on bare soil, no lawn at the moment. Soil is
okay at the moment but pretty uneven and I've to put 15cm of topsoil to
make it level.

I've tried to remove them by digging up but sometimes their roots are
too deep and they just break up. Will it be a problem if I leave those
broken roots or I've to take them out whatever happens. I most case I
really have to dig deep to get to them.

Once all the weeds are removed and site is cleared I'll be putting 15cm
of topsoil on top of existing soil. Will that help OR the weeds will
still penetrate from there as well.

I'll put ready made turf on top of that once leveled and free from
weed.

Also I was thinking of getting the rotovator if it makes life easier as
there are plenty of weeds and digging is taking decent time.
Please let me know if that will be helpful so that I can rent one out
or should I just use hand tools.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

--
RK77

like the guy says, lay newspaper down then topsoil. that works very
well.

or, you can use roundup on the weeds; that seems to kill them off but
doesn't kill future grass. might take a few sprays though, from my
experience. at least, some weeds seem to die right away, some don't
and i decided to spray them again.

either way, like the other guy says, there's going to be weed seeds
waiting in the new turf, as well as blowing in. but..... once you get
a nice thick healthy lawn, that tends to prevent new weeds from
sprouting, or thriving once they sprout.