Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Alexander Avtanski Alexander Avtanski is offline

Default Pollen grain and something else

Hello,

I just finished building a simple air sampler that blows air on a
sticky tape, and today I got my first look at what's in the air.
There are things that I managed to identify, and some that I
couldn't. One of the most abundant things in the air on my patio
right now is something I could not identify. Here is a pictu

http://avtanski.net/images/microscop...sample/p01.jpg

The thing on the right and slightly lower I'm pretty sure is a pine
pollen grain - I have it here for scale. What is the weird star-like
thing on the left? Air seems to be packed with these.

Here is another of the things, this one slightly different:

http://avtanski.net/images/microscop...sample/p02.jpg

And while we are on this topic, what are the cell-like things that
look like pill capsules here (magnification is the same as before):

http://avtanski.net/images/microscop...sample/p03.jpg

Somehow those look like spores to me - I saw similar pictures of
spores online. Are those spores? From fungi?

Regards,

- Alex