Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wants to legalize online gambling and marijuana

As someone who has worked with emotionally disturbed people and then gone on to
become a scientists I am convinced there is enough scientific evidence to suggest
that 80% or more of our "character" is genetically determined, hardwired in at birth
and that it can only be slightly modified by "training". The latest evidence is for
autism:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0302090222.htm
anger, well at least it is a start:
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/...angergene.html
"While several research groups have found evidence indicating that the polymorphic
transcriptional control region of the serotonin transporter gene may contribute to
anger-related behavioral characteristics, the story is much more complex than the
feature story from Good Morning America leads us to believe. For instance, this
particular polymorphism has not only been implicated as a gene likely to predict
those more prone to anger, but other researchers have found countless other
correlations between one's 5-HTTLPR genotype and the tendency to be depressed,
develop schizophrenia, anorexia nervosa, and become suicidal among others."
alcoholism and addiction:
http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine...olism-13639-1/

It wasnt very long ago that "bad mothers" were blamed for everything from SIDS to
autism to schizophrenia. We are gradually beginning to unravel the complexities of
the brain and how different genetics affects personality and mental health. Some day
we will be able to test for propensity to addiction, even sociopathy at birth and
have treatments so children and adults do not have to self medicate. Someday we will
be able to identify at risk and change the genes before birth. Nobody should have to
suffer mental pain any more than suffer physically from pain.

INgrid

On Sat, 09 May 2009 19:24:20 -0500, Jangchub wrote:
Yeah, it's called getting sober. If we have to take drugs to prevent
drug abuse we may as well just kill ourselves. My father drank right
through antibuse, the miracle drug for alcoholics in the seventies. I
know people who take these things and because the underlying issue is
never addressed with psychotherapy or self-examination through
rigorous honesty; well, they're doomed.

Addiction is a fault in character development for whatever reason.
It's not a disease.

I am not talking about antidepressants now. Depression IS a disease.
It is a mental disease having nothing to do with character
development

One last thing: This new Parkinson's drug causes intersting side
effects like compulsive gambling and sex "addiction."