Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Gardeners World - Blue Peter

On 2009-05-10 00:34:05 +0100, Alan said:

In message , BOFH
wrote
When did I miss the news release about them becoming the same programme ?

It make s a refreshing change from assuming that everyone still
communicates in Latin. Even the so called gardening experts cannot
agree what plants are called in a language that 99.999% of the British
public cannot understand.

The programme truly reflects the poor regard that the professionals in
the gardening industry have for the general pubic.

That's far too sweeping a statement. The 'professionals in the
gardening industry' have every regard for the public in this
establishment and so do the other professionals who post here.
We're properly aware that the public is our livelihood. But if
everyone here who has a complaint about Gardener's world writes to tell
the BBC just that, there might be changes. There certainly were after
so many people complained about the style of the coverage of Chelsea.
If your local garden centre of nursery is just a supermarket for
bog-standard plants where the staff know nothing about horticulture,
plant names or care, that's because you go on buying there and don't
protest or force change. And knowing the Latin names for plants means
that everyone *can* communicate. You can go to USA or Estonia and talk
about plants and everyone with any knowledge of them will know which
you're talking about.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials