Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Ferns as Weeds

On 2009-05-09 23:46:14 +0100, Torbjörn Svensson Diaz said:

Hullo!

Would ferns count as weeds? Do they prolifirate aggressively? If I
plant a lot of ferns in a garden will my neighbours be mad at me? Will
the ferns spread to my neighbours? I like fern-coated trees but if
they destroy neighbours' gardens I don't like them so much anymore.

Are there different kinds of ferns, some of which are suitable for
gardening and some of which are not?

Best,

It rather depends on how close your fern site is going to be to your
neighbours and how big your garden is, too. They'd probably spread
under a fence, for example. We grow shuttlecock ferns (Matteuccia
struthiopteris) on the edge of two of the borders here and have noticed
this year that, far from confining themselves to the edge, they've
proliferated over large parts of the border. So they'll have to be
hoicked out before they take over. But they're absolutely beautiful
especially in spring as they emerge from the ground. They'll add
greatly to any shady garden's beauty. And if you have room for it,
grow Osmunda regalis, the royal fern. That's a bit of a show-stopper.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon