Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

It is interesting that someone in this group has the power to remove
postings they find offensive. The entire discussion on Heirloom
Apples quoted above has vanished. It includes a defense
my position. Nothing like a little censorship.

Let me see...

I doubt if any of the usual participants in this newsgroup would want to
censor the thread.

While I disagree with you categorically and think there is no reasonable
defense of using pesticides or herbicides, you have the right to say
your piece, as do we all. The issues matter too much to silence the
opposition.

There's at least 1 corporate entity cum 2 trick pony that might monitor
for certain carefully picked hot-button (but true) key words and phrases
and either complain or cancel. I know that if I were them, I would and
that all the gardening newsgroups would be reasonable targets to
monitor.

If it is censorship, I think, you can guess what words set off the alarm
and who might be being censored... (Then again, it could just be that
Motzarella.org server has a short latency period or you inadvertantly
deleted the thread from your newsreader.)

I'll note that the opposite poles I mentioned use similar methodologies
to inspire fear, silence dissent and make bad publicity or bad public go
away. IMO, the difference between money and a gun is that a gun kills
more quickly.

We can decide what to believe based on whatever makes us comfortable.

Since there is more money in selling chemicals than an organic approach,
you wouldn't think that Dr. Doo (childish, I know) would be censored. He
be their boy.
--

- Billy