Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default weed removal

On 5/10/2009 12:59 PM, Dioclese wrote:
"RK77" wrote in message
Hi

Thanks for responding to my previous post. I just need some more help
as I'm amateur gardener.

I've got plenty of weeds on bare soil, no lawn at the moment. Soil is
okay at the moment but pretty uneven and I've to put 15cm of topsoil to
make it level.

I've tried to remove them by digging up but sometimes their roots are
too deep and they just break up. Will it be a problem if I leave those
broken roots or I've to take them out whatever happens. I most case I
really have to dig deep to get to them.

Once all the weeds are removed and site is cleared I'll be putting 15cm
of topsoil on top of existing soil. Will that help OR the weeds will
still penetrate from there as well.

I'll put ready made turf on top of that once leveled and free from
weed.

Also I was thinking of getting the rotovator if it makes life easier as
there are plenty of weeds and digging is taking decent time.
Please let me know if that will be helpful so that I can rent one out
or should I just use hand tools.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

--
RK77

The best way that I found is too scythe the weeds as low as possible. Rake
it all up in a pile and burn it elsewhere. Turn over about 2 feet in depth
of the soil, and let it dry out well. Break it up after dried, and rake out
all the remnants and do the same as you did previously. Then, run the
rototiller, then add your soil additions and rototill those in.

I don't know of a non-laborious method of doing the above to achieve the
same results.

Because of air pollution, burning weeds is illegal near many urban
areas. For legitimate farms, agricultural burning requires a permit so
that not too many farms are burning on the same day.

In my area, no burning is allowed between 31 May and the first rains in
the fall. This is because even agricultural burning can get out of
control and lead to a massive wildfire. Even in seasons when
agricultural burning is allowed, the fire department controls on what
days it's allowed, based on weather forecasts of temperature, humidity,
and wind.

Think of Santa Barbara this past week. While we don't yet know what
caused that major fire, similar fires have started from things as simple
as an unnoticed spark when a metal tool hit a rock, by an automobile
with a hot engine parked over dry grass, and by a farmer using a welding
torch to repair farm equipment.

Some of these fires have been caused by the wind breaking power lines.
A recent state report indicates that too much weight from cell phone and
cable systems has been placed on utility poles originally installed only
for electric lines. Strong winds broke such poles in Malibu, causing a
major fire with a church and several very expensive homes destroyed.
(Despite the report, the local residents still blame campers in an
adjacent state park. The residents think that parks should be nice to
see and provide a greenbelt to block further development, but the parks
should not actually be used.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean